- Este evento ha pasado.
rewriting otology: then and now
2 marzo, 2018|9:45 am - 12:30 pm
about this event
This meeting will contrast relevant historical aspects of otology with the most innovative contemporary otologic surgery.
Mr Nigel Thomas, past president of the Hunterian Society will reflect on the history of otology. Professor Daniele Marchioni from Verona is a world renowned expert in endoscopic ear surgery and will demonstrate his techniques whilst the early learning curve when starting endoscopic ear surgery and the pit falls to avoid, are presented by Mr Mark Felton. Mr James Tysome from Cambridge, will present a realistic assessment of the treatment of lateral skull based tumours, addressing the place of medications, beam therapies and surgery. Professor Shak Saeed, professor of skull base surgery, the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, will teach on his unique experience in auditory brain stem implants.
- Learn some important history from the talk, ‘Reflections on the History of Otology’
- Have an understanding of how to acquire the newer skills of endoscopic ear surgery
- Have witnessed a master class of advanced endoscopic ear surgery
- Be familiarised with oncological beam therapies, medical treatment and the case for surgery in lateral skull based tumours
- Be informed about the indications for auditory brain stem implants; current limitations and future prospects